Below is a handy pocket square guide when choosing your pocket square:
- Choose a secondary colour from your shirt or tie as the primary colour for your pocket square
- Don't overdo the patterns, ensure some articles of clothing are flat colours which will accentuate the colours in your pocket square or tie
- Don't directly match your tie and pocket square
- If you are wearing a silk pocket square make sure it is over 40cm x 40cm (16 inches) as anything smaller the fine material is likely to slip down into your pocket
- Match your fold to the occasion. For formal occasions stick to the flat fold or one or two point folds, for more casual occasions use some more flare with the classic puff fold or one of the more flamboyant fold as set out below.
- White pocket square rules; for the most part, there are no rules. White squares work with every jacket and tie combination and colour so you can never really get it wrong with a white pocket square.